Wednesday, June 12, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Starting Another Molecule

For my next beading project, I've been commissioned by a friend of mine to make another 3D beaded molecule. My friend studies a class of molecules called glycosaminoglycans, or GAGs (yes, GAGs. Don't laugh!) One of the most widely-available GAGs is this one:


It's a synthetic anticoagulant drug that's related to natural GAGs found in humans. I generally call it by its trade name, "Arixtra," though its generic name is "fondaparinux." It differs from both my endorphin molecule necklace and the Morning Coffee Molecules because it's a carbohydrate, while the endorphins are peptides, and caffeine, caffeic acid, and trigonelline are small molecules. Arixtra is related to the natural carbohydrates heparin and heparan sulfate, which are also used as anticoagulants.

It's widely-available because it's made in the laboratory from other pure molecules, whereas heparin and heparan sulfate have to be extracted from animal tissue, usually cows or pigs.

Here's a 3D representation of this molecule:


My friend wants it to be a stand-alone piece, which saves me the challenge of figuring out how to incorporate it into jewelry. I'm guessing that it will measure about 7-8 inches end-to-end.

She wants her molecule in CPK colors, which are the standard colors used for each atom in molecular models like the one above. But I'm taking a few liberties with those colors to make it look prettier.


Now comes the challenge of beading it! Stay tuned for the results!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...