Thursday, April 29, 2010

In Memorium

I usually don't use this blog for personal posts, but this past month marks the passing of two beloved family members: my great-grandmother Mimi, followed 12 days later by my aunt Annie. The loss of both of these wonderful ladies is a huge blow to my family. Since this is a beading blog, I'd like to memorialize them here by talking about their appreciation of beaded art.

Some of you might remember the post I wrote about the pearl necklace I sent Mimi for her 100th birthday last year. I said it then and I'll say it now: there isn't a craft that she tried that she didn't master, because she was just that awesome. She had no fear of learning, whether it was crafts or technology; one of the things she learned in her final few months of life was how to use Facebook. She was one classy lady that I'm blessed to have had as my great-grandmother.

The loss of Annie was very devastating; she died at the age of 50 from Pulmonary Hypertension. She was one of the sweetest, most selfless people that I've ever known, and was the picture-perfect persona of a deeply devoted daughter, mother, and grandmother.

Mimi was a master at French beaded flowers. I can't think of a household in our family that doesn't have one of her amazing beaded bouquets. I inherited these single stems when I moved into my first apartment, which I assembled into three miniature bouquets. They're still there decorating the edge of my sink, and unlike other flowers these ones are fine without water :).



Here's one of the mini bouquets that can be found at my parents' house:

Some of the color-lined seed beads in this bouquet are fading. They're probably old enough to be vintage at this point.

Mimi used the most creative "vases" for her mini bouquets. This one uses a candleholder!

Same with this one:
Here's one of her roses... Isn't it amazing?


Finally, when we were cleaning out Annie's bedroom, I was so happy to find that she kept a huge bouquet of Mimi's roses right next to her bedside. These grainy cell-phone pictures hardly do this piece justice:

It's like Mimi was watching over Annie in her final days:

Miss you Mimi and Annie... Though you are gone, you live on in your art, and in the memories of those who loved you.

4 comments:

  1. My grandma passed a week before Easter and is dearly missed, too. She was more into needlework than beading, but a master in this. I think the three will have a good time crafting together in heaven and watching us, while we craft here on earth. You're in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great loss for you and your family. Heartfelt condolences, I feel for you!
    Kind regards
    Eveline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your kind condolences everyone, I really appreciate it. Kokopelli - I'm so sorry for your loss. I'd love to see some of your grandmother's needlework too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...