Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Beaded Serotonin

In the midst of preparing for the Bead & Button Show, and after a fabulous time teaching at the San Diego Bead Society this weekend, I carved out a little time to make some more beaded molecules.

Serotonin


Serotonin is a small molecule that contributes to feelings of happiness and well-being. It's made from the amino acid tryptophan, and it functions as a neurotransmitter; a molecule that carries messages from one neuron to another in the nervous system. Serotonin is found in both the gut, where it regulates intestinal functions, and the brain, where it helps to regulate mood, appetite, and sleep. It's a huge target of antidepressant drugs, which aim to increase serotonin levels.

The Chemical Structure of Serotonin

From an organic chemist's point of view, serotonin is about the same size as caffeine, and its two rings (the indole functional group) are also flat. It has comparatively more carbon atoms with only two nitrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. So, from the beader's point of view, when serotonin is woven using the same technique that I describe in my Morning Coffee Molecules pattern, the two colors of the background beads and the carbon atoms will dominate, with the colors of the nitrogen and oxygen atoms serving as accents.

Color Attempt #1


For my first attempt at a beaded serotonin molecule, I chose colors that I like because those colors make me happy. So I started with matte purple beads for the carbon atoms on a dark purple beaded background, with red luster beads for the nitrogen atoms and gold for the oxygen atom.


The result ended up much darker than I had anticipated. It's an interesting color scheme, but it doesn't scream "happy" the way that I had wanted it to.

Color Attempt #2


For my second attempt, I switched to lighter purple beads for the background, bright pink for the carbon atoms and orange for the nitrogen atoms.


It's a much happier molecule, but I wasn't as satisfied with the interplay between the pink and purple beads, as these beads are too close in value and tend to blend into each other. Plus, for this molecule to be truly happy, it needs to sit on a bed of bright and sunny background beads.

Third Time's a Charm!


For my final attempt, I put the gold beads in the background, and switched to shiny Duracoat seed beads for the individual atoms; pink for the carbon, purple for the nitrogen, and peach for the oxygen atom.


It's by far my favorite of the three, and I'll definitely be working with this color scheme again!

Next time, I'll have to try beaded dopamine.

15 comments:

  1. Always when I eat some chocolate, I feel that my serotonin level is very high:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo yeah, chocolate is great for happiness! It's also full of theobromine too :) http://beadorigami.blogspot.com/2013/03/chocolate-molecules.html

      Delete
  2. Who knew science could be so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie! I'm always looking for ways to make science more beautiful :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful idea! I love Your Serotonin.
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will we be able to get a pattern for the serotonin? I LOVE IT! I have been looking for a way to make a version of a beaded serotonin for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Artemis! This design is on my to-write list, though I want to try beaded dopamine first... I'm thinking that they would make a nice pair. In the meantime, I do have a pattern for three beaded molecules from coffee, including the most stimulating caffeine molecule: http://www.beadorigami.com/patterns/morning_coffee.html

      Delete
  5. Cindy, LOVE the serotonin! Will you be working up a pattern for this? I do hope so. See you soon at B&B,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! It's on my to-write list, though probably not in time for B&B, since I need to get my class patterns finished. I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

      Delete
  6. ok, this is just weird, or awesome that some one else beaded chemicals before I could start! I will definitely have to try out my version soon... your way is brilliant.
    Nissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nissa! This method works best for molecules with sp2 carbons, since it results in a flat beaded molecule. I sort of cheat with serotonin since a couple of its carbons are sp3.

      If you haven't already, check out the Beaded Molecules blog: http://thebeadedmolecules.blogspot.com - they specialize in beaded fullerenes, some as big as person!

      Delete
    2. Haha, yea sp3 would be a bit more challenging to bead and have it fall perfectly when you wear it. I hadn't heard of the beaded molecules blog... which is just awesome combining two of my favorite things: chemistry and beading. Both of you are just so inspiring. :)
      Nissa

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...