Friday, February 15, 2013

Origami Interlude: Immortelle

For this month's Origami Interlude, I folded a piece designed by Lukasheva Ekaterina of Kusudama.me. She has a gorgeous gallery of kusudama origami, and several free diagrams to boot! This piece is called Immortelle, and is a variation of her Dragonfly unit:


This piece features 30 Immortelle units joined together without any glue or adhesives. I used six units each of five different colors of origami paper, and joined them together using the uniform color distribution that I describe in my Candy Dodecahedron beaded bead pattern. I used two sheets of paper for each unit so that the completed piece would be more colorful; about half of the backside of each piece of paper shows in the final unit.


I really like how flowery this piece looks!


A free diagram and how-to video for this piece is available at Kusudama.me. Check out some of my previous interludes into paper origami here, here, here, here, and here.

6 comments:

  1. Love the colour selection. It looks a ball of spring blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo-Ann! I just can't wait for spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't even begin to imagine the intricacies involved in creating this! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caron! In some ways, modular origami is less technically intricate than doing beadwork; most of the actual work is folding 30 pieces of paper exactly the same way. It's the joining of them together that gets tricky, but since there's no thread, it's much easier to take it apart and try again if you make a mistake. If you're ever interested in trying modular origami, you should check out Ekaterina's site! She has tons of free patterns and videos to go along with them.

      Delete
  4. Wooow ! I love it !!

    http://myhandmadelife.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...